The purpose of this blog post is to give you a shortlist of talks that you might have missed during NDC (Norwegian Developer Conference) 12.-16. June 2017.
NDC has just ended its 10th consecutive event in Oslo. As always, the speaker list contained big names like Troy Hunt (talking about NDC in his weekly update), Jon Skeet, Damian Edwards & David Fowler, Udi Dahan etc. (NDC didn't accept my abstract though..)
I attended two of the three days of conference sessions. Also, there were 9 (!) parallell tracks, making it impossible to attend all the sessions I wanted.
So, what did I miss? I asked my friends and colleagues which also attended the conference, followed the response on Twitter and combined this with my own shortlist - resulting in a list of sessions I want to see (stream). And hopefully this list might be relevant for others aswell.
What I didn't miss
But first, what I didn't miss that is worth mentioning:
- NDC delivering as a conference, once again. Beatifully organized, CFD (continous food delivery), great atmosphere.
- Well crafted stands with competitions, baristas, ice cream stand, climbing tower (!) and what not
- Brilliant key note by Dylan Beattie. I was a bit moved by the Baz Luhrman "cover" modified to fit the crowd.
- Interesting thoughts from Ian Cooper (Creating A .NET Renaissance) and Sam Newman (Confusion In The Land Of The Serverless)
- Edwards and Fowler demo stumbling through "What's new in ASP.NET Core 2.0"
- Rob Conery playing around with Firebase
- Tess Ferrandez debugging and profiling (really good)
- Andreas Ahlgren's energetic James Bond-story of persuading people to use VUE.js. A bit unstructured, but it made me want to try VUE.js.
- Speakers emphasizing that serverless doesn't mean that there are no servers involved.
My colleague, Christian Brevik, acing the lightning talk about making apps with React Native:
What did I miss?
NB! Video links will be added when made available on https://vimeo.com/ndcconferences
- Dylan Beattie: "Keynote - Are there any questions?" (abstract)
- Steve Sanderson: "Web Apps can’t really do that, can they?" (abstract)
- Sam Newman: "Feature Branches And Toggles In A Post-GitHub World" (abstract)
- Mark Rendle/Dylan Beattie: "It's NDC - But Not As We Know It" (abstract)
- Jad Joubran: "The (Awesome) Future of Web Apps" (abstract)
- Mark Rendle: "Brave new .NET" (abstract | stream)
Two talks in a row at #ndcoslo. Next up, Brave New .NET in Room 5. Docker, microservices, and any other buzzwords I can squeeze in.— Mark Rendle ❄ (@markrendle) June 15, 2017
Should be good:
- Adam Sitnik: "State of the .NET Performance" (abstract)
- Andy Davies: "Building a Serverless, EventSourced Slack clone" (abstract)
- Ben Cull: "Identity Server 4 with Angular and ASP.NET Core" (abstract)
- Brock Allen and Dominick Baier: "Implementing authorization in web applications and APIs" (abstract)
- David Fowler/Damian Edwards: "ASP.NET Core Futures Roadmap" (abstract)
- Hans Peeters/Benny Michielsen: "The blockchain: what, why and how" (abstract)
- Mark Rendle: "Why I'm Not Leaving .NET" (abstract)
- Nicholas Blumhardt: "Instrumentation that Works for You" (abstract)
- Scott Helme: "Emerging Web Security Standards" (abstract)
- Troy Hunt: "Something Something Cyber" (abstract)
- Udi Dahan: "Microservices and Rules Engines – a blast from the past" (abstract | stream)